HEALTHY CHOICES COUNT!
Parents. Teachers. Health care providers. Business leaders. When it comes to kids, there’s one thing everyone wants – for them to be healthy! That’s why Iowa has created Healthy Choices Count! It’s a health-focused movement for kids that’s under the nationally recognized program, 5-2-1-0.
This proven, scientific method helps keep kids healthy by focusing on the importance of good habits. And it all starts by encouraging them to eat and play the right way. It’s how they can live 5-2-1-0.
FOUR LITTLE NUMBERS. ONE AWESOME WAY TO STAY HEALTHY!
Put it all together and Iowa kids now have an easy (not to mention proven) way to remember how to have fun while practicing healthy habits.
So, now that you know what 5-2-1-0 stands for, it’s time to get involved! Whether you’re a parent, teacher, childcare provider or business leader, you can help Iowa kids learn the importance of staying healthy. How?
- Partner with us if you’re a school, daycare or after-school program.
- Encourage healthy habits with your kids if you’re a parent.
- Become a sponsor to help us bring about change.
10 STRATEGIES OF SUCCESS
When you partner with Healthy Choices Count!, you can use our 10 Strategies of Success to help you be, well, successful. These strategies are evidence based and align with national recommendations to help increase healthy eating and active living in Iowa kids. We recommend implementing strong policies around each of these strategies.
- Limit unhealthy choices for snacks and celebrations, while providing healthy choices.
- Limit or eliminate sugary drinks – provide water.
- Prohibit the use of food as a reward.
- Provide opportunities to get physical activity every day.
- Limit recreational screen time.
- Participate in local, state and national initiatives that support healthy eating and active living.
- Engage community partners to help support healthy eating and active living.
- Partner with and educate families in adopting and maintaining a lifestyle that supports healthy eating and active living.
- Implement a staff wellness program that includes healthy eating and active living.
- Collaborate with Food and Nutrition Programs to offer healthy food and beverage options.
TOGETHER, WE CAN CREATE HEALTHIER IOWA KIDS!
With your support, we can help Iowa kids make the right choices when it comes to eating and playing. Because Healthy Choices Count! Contact us with questions or for more information.