Join us to learn from experts from across the state working in the schools, child care, out-of-school programs, health care and communities as they share their experiences to adopt strategies to support the healthy choice as the easy choice.
Des Moines University Olson Center
9 a.m. — 3 p.m.
General Registration: $30
General Registration + T-shirt: $45
Attendance to summit, conference materials, lunch and 5-2-1-0 Healthy Choices Count! refillable water bottle.
Attendees can purchase a 5-2-1-0 Healthy Choices Count! T-shirt at a discounted rate of $15.
|Note: Registrants are encouraged to attend with other organizations from their community to support multi-sector engagement and implementation. || |
- Commission on Dietetic Registration has approved 4.0 CPEU's for the 5-2-1-0 Healthy Choices Count! Summit.
- Child Care Provider training hours will be offered. Providers will need to register for the 5-2-1-0 Healthy Choices Count Summit on the Iowa Child Care Provider Training Registry and will receive 4 clock hours for content area 1.
- School Nutrition Professionals (Communications and Marketing - 4100): 4 hours
- School staff are eligible for sub-pay (up to $100) and mileage reimbursement ($0.39/mile).
- Schools that attend will have the opportunity to apply for a $500 sub-grant to support school wellness.
- Iowa Association for the Education of Young Children is offering mileage reimbursement up to 25 child care providers who attend the 5-2-1-0 Healthy Choices Count! Summit.
9:00 - 9:30 a.m. Registration
9:30 - 9:45 a.m. Welcome
Governor Kim Reynolds (invited)
Gerd Clabaugh, Director - Iowa Department of Public Health
Ryan Wise, Director - Iowa Department of Education
Jami Haberl, Executive Director - Iowa Healthiest State Initiative
9:45 - 10:15 a.m. Keynote Speaker
Senator Tom Harkin (retired), Harkin Institute
10:15 - 10:30 a.m. Physical Activity Break
10:30 - 11:15 a.m. How Schools are Changing
Carrie Scheidel, MPH – Iowa Department of Education
Mary Ries, RN – Maquoketa Valley Community School District
Sarah Peterson, RDN – Hy-Vee Inc. / Chariton Community School District
11:15 - 12:15 p.m. Networking Lunch
12:15 - 12:30 p.m. Physical Activity Break
12:30 - 1:15 p.m. Engaging Health Care Providers
Jennifer Groos, MD, FAAP – Blank Children’s Pediatric Clinic
Meredith Fishbane-Gordon, MD – University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital
Jill Alexander, MD – McFarland Clinic
Tori Smith, MD – Mercy Iowa City
Vicki Novak, PA-C – Gunderson Health System
1:15 - 2:00 p.m. Starting with the Youngest Iowans
Erin Olson, Iowa Department of Public Health
Hannah Olson, Child and Family Urban Movement, Des Moines
Michelle Brook, Curious Kids Child Care, Centerville
Gina Wells, Child Care Resource and Referral- Orchard Place, Des Moines
2:00 - 2:15 p.m. Physical Activity Break
2:15 – 2:55 p.m. Community Support to Make the Healthy Choice the Easy Choice
Jessica Wegner, RN, Gundersen Palmer Community Health
Amie Johansen, City of West Union
Stacie Schroeder, TigerHawk Connections Learning Center
Mary O’Kones, Kaleidoscope Kids Childcare Center, Inc.
Ashley Christensen, Upper Explorerland Regional Planning Commission
2:55 – 3:00 p.m. Closing Remarks