Finalists announced for 2020 Healthiest State Annual Awards
Lyndsey Fennelly will give keynote speech at Feb. 6 ceremony
The Healthiest State Initiative has announced the finalists for the 2020 Healthiest State Annual Awards. Individuals, communities, K-12 schools, early care providers, out-of-school programs and workplaces will be recognized for their efforts to improve the physical, social and emotional well-being of Iowans in their respective sectors at an awards ceremony on Feb. 6 in West Des Moines.
The finalists in the eight categories include:
Healthy HometownSM Powered by Wellmark Community Award
- Dallas Center
- Dickinson County
- West Union
- Irving Elementary (Waterloo)
- Notre Dame Catholic School (Cresco)
- Pierce Elementary (Cedar Rapids)
Early Care Provider
- Children’s Center (Council Bluffs)
- Little Steps & Beyond (Iowa City)
- TenderCare (Mount Pleasant)
- Tri-County Child & Development (Waterloo)
- Live Well Montgomery County (Red Oak)
- Opportunity on Deck (Urbandale)
- Scott Gall (Cedar Falls)
- Bob King (Dallas Center)
- Ben Spellman (Des Moines)
- Anawim Housing (Des Moines)
- Des Moines Pastoral Counseling Center
- MercyCare Business Health Solutions (Cedar Rapids)
- Merchants Bonding Company (West Des Moines)
- Montgomery County Memorial Hospital (Red Oak)
- Northwest Financial Corporation (Arnolds Park)
- Drake University (Des Moines)
- Grinnell Mutual (Grinnell)
- The Iowa Clinic (Des Moines)
“We are honoring finalists in more categories than ever before which is a testament to the tremendous work happening across the state to improve the health and wellness of Iowans of all ages,” said Jami Haberl, Healthiest State Initiative executive director.
TICKETS ON SALE NOW: 2020 Healthiest State Annual Awards
Each finalist will be recognized and winners from each category will be announced at the Healthiest State Annual Awards ceremony on Feb. 6 at the Ron Pearson Center in West Des Moines. Each winner will be granted a monetary gift to continue their work focused on improving the health and well-being of their employees, students or citizens.
In addition to the awards presentation, keynote speaker Lyndsey (Medders) Fennelly will tell her inspirational story of living with a mental illness. Fennelly is a former Iowa State University women’s basketball player, owner of CampusCycle spin studio and passionate advocate for mental health. She is married to Iowa State Women’s basketball assistant coach, Billy Fennelly, and they live in Ames with their two children.
“Lyndsey gives a voice to the 1 in 5 Iowans who will experience a mental illness in their lifetime,” said Haberl. “By talking about her experience, she helps to eliminate stigma and encourages those living with a mental illness to seek the help they deserve.”
The Healthiest State Annual Awards are sponsored by Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Hy-Vee, Inc., and Nemours.
Healthiest State Annual Awards tickets on sale now!
The Healthiest State Annual Awards are open to the public and tickets are on sale now at IowaHealthiestState.com/Awards. Tickets are $25 for individuals or $190 for a table of eight. The event, hosted at the Ron Pearson Center in West Des Moines, will open at 4:15 p.m. for hors d'oeuvres and networking with the awards ceremony beginning at 5 p.m.