Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Enjoy a seasonal spin on the family-favorite shepherd's pie by using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, vitamins and minerals.
All you need:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and fill with cold water until potatoes are covered. Bring water to a boil and continue to boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pot. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes with coconut milk. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add oil, onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and garlic, breaking up beef until it is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Once meat is cooked through, season meat and vegetable mixture with salt, pepper, Worcestershire, thyme and oregano. Remove from heat.
- Spread meat and vegetable mixture evenly over the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Evenly spread sweet potato mixture over top.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top has slightly browned. Enjoy warm!
RELATED: How to find a healthy relationship with carbs