The busy holiday season is upon us and between school, work and holiday parties, it can be hard to get the family back to the dinner table for a meal. Hy-Vee dietitians are always here to help with quick family meal solutions that will not break the bank!
All you need:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Hy-Vee salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp That’s Smart! salted butter, softened
- 1 to 2 tbsp That’s Smart! 2% reduced-fat milk
- Coarsely ground Hy-Vee black pepper
- 1 tbsp Hy-Vee canola oil
- 4 (4-oz each) boneless top loin pork chops, about ½-inch thick
- 1 cup refrigerated pressed apple juice
- ¾ tsp Hy-Vee cornstarch
- ½ tsp apple pie spice
- ½ tsp Hy-Vee Dijon mustard
- 2 Gala apples, cored and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 small Vidalia onion, cut into 6 wedges
- ½ tsp chopped fresh thyme, plus additional for garnish
All you do:
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with water; add ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and gently boil for 12 to 15 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain well.
- Return potatoes to saucepan. Add ¼ cup butter; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in enough milk until light and fluffy; season to taste with salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Heat canola oil in a large cast-iron skillet. Add pork chops and cook over medium heat for 7 to 9 minutes or until pork reaches 145 degrees, turning halfway thorough. Transfer pork chops to a plate; cover to keep warm.
- Whisk together apple juice, cornstarch, apple pie spice and mustard; set aside.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add apples, onion and ½ teaspoon thyme. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or just until softened, stirring frequently. Push apples and onion to side of skillet. Add apple juice mixture to center of skillet; cook and whisk for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return pork chops to skillet and heat through. Garnish with additional thyme, if desired. Serve with mashed sweet potatoes.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 494 calories, 26g fat, 13g saturated fat, 101mg cholesterol, 472mg sodium, 42g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 21g sugar, 1g added sugar, 27g protein
Recipe source: Pan-Fried Pork Chops with Apples and Onions | Hy-Vee
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual